"The Daily Mirror" du jeudi 18 avril 1912

The Daily Mirror du 18/04/1912 Top, from left to right :
Miss Estelle Stead as Portia.
Letter written by Mr. Stead to The Daily Mirror on April 10.
A recent portrait of Mr. W. T. Stead.

Bottom, from left to right :
Mr. Stead saying good-bye to his wife and daughters.
Mr. Stead wearing prison clothes.
An extract from Mr. Stead's last article.

Had Mr. W. T. Stead escaped from the sinking Titanic—we say " bad " because, although his fate is still uncertain, the probabilities are that he has perished-he would have written the most wenderful article of his life. He was one of the greatestjournalist who ever lived. He could not only describe things, but he could see them, and the force of his style and the unflinching honesty of his opinions, whether they were mistaken or not, compelled the world to think. He had interviewed Tsars and he was the friend of Kings. He knew more about foreign politics than almost any man in Europe, and his hatred of war created The Hague Peace Conference.
He went to prison for his opinions, so strong were they. But the sinking of the Titanic would have been the most vivid experience of his life, and we should have known the truth as to why she sank. Violent as his convictions were, he was, of all things, a human man. Almost the 1ast thing he did before he sailed on that fatal journey was to write to The Daily Mirror asking that his daughter's latest theatrical production might be photographed in order that publicity would help her in her artistic career. The thinking world pays a tribute to his memory.

Page 2

The Daily Mirror du 18/04/1912
Only 705 Survivors of Titanic on Board Carpathia.
Cable Steamer Leaaves Halifax on Funereal Mission.
Pathetically slowly, the Cunard liner Carpathia is hearing New York with her tragic load of widowed wives and orphaned children.
"The eyes of the whole civilised world are following her as she ploughs her way all too draggingly along through the ocean and the icefields that cumber the track.
For on board she carries all that are left of the 2,200 souls who set sail with such high hope last week for the maiden voyage of the Titanic, the greatest ship the worid has ever known, man's supreme challenge to the powers of nature.
Now that ship has been shattered, and all that remains is sunk in 12,000ft. of Atlantic Ocean. Of her human freight two in every three have perished, fathers, husbands, bread-winners.
And the world waits upon the Carpathia—waits to hear the appalling truth of that midnight crash when the 46,000-ton steamship met the mountain of ice.
But meanwhile a funeral ship has left Halifax with a grim cargo of coffins, hoping to pick up the dead. . . .
What is their number? No one yet knows for certain, but the most recent information seems to increase the death-roll by over 160. Latest wireless reports speak of but 700 or 705 survivors on the Carpathia—formerly it was 868.
Estimates of the number of the dead must vary between 1,400 and 1,500, for not even the precise number of those on board when the Titanic sailed is yet definitely established.
The following cablegram was received by the White Star Line last evening from their New York office : —
" Carpathia now in communication with Siasconset reports 705 survivors aboard."
These figures would seem to be the final official number of the survivors, and increase the death-rOll by 163 to nearly 1,500.
The first news that came to hand concerning the terrible death-roll of the Titanic put the figures of the survivors on board the Carpathia at 675.
Then Came what purported to be official figures—868. Last evening from many sources caime telegrams estimating the survivors at only 700 or 705.
Mere figures, these, yet of tragic significance to those left behind. To you who read, 700 or 701 means little enough. To the orphaned child or widowed bride of that one, left to fend for themselves, with the tragic memory of a dear one who is no more, that unit is—everything in the world Worth having.
NEW YORK, April 17 (evening).—According to the figures published here, 700, or thereabouts, alone have escaped disaster, and undoubtedly among these are 100 sailors.
If these figures turn out to be correct there cannot be more than 600 passengers saved.
The death-roll in that case would number over 1.500. The latest analysis received via the cruiser Chester places the number of the lost cabin passengers at 115, and of the second-class passengers at 167.
HALIFAX, April 17 (morning).—Sable Island has been in wireless communication with the Cunard liner Carpathia, who reported that twenty icebergs had been sighted off the banks near the scene of the wreck. She sent no details of the disaster.
An electrical storm interfered with the transmission of wireless telegrams last night and this morning, and no communication was received from the Carpathia.—Reuter.

When will the first first-hand news of what really happened to the Titanic reach England?
So far as is known at present, the only true story is with tragic lips on board the Carpathia. It does not appear as though the Carpathia is going to let any details be made public until she lands in New York.
Yesterday American imaginative journalism took its first night, and stories were circulated and telegraphed to London from New York newspapers, purportine to describe the actual scenes at the wreck of the Titanic, and to be based upon wireless messages from the British steamer Bruce.
Subsequent inquiries showed that the Bruce had not been in touch with the Titanic or ony other steamer near the scene of the disaster.
A Reuter message states that the Carpathia was 198 miles east of Ambrose Channel at 6.10 a.m. yesterday, American time. In English time this is 11.10 a.m.
Ambrose Light is twenty miles from New York, so that this extra mileage has to be added to the total of 498 miles, making the Carpathia 518 miles east of New York at 4 a.m. (Greenwich time) yesterday morning.
The Carpathia, it was officially announced by the Cunard Company yesterday, will not reach New York until eight o'clock to-night (New York time), which is one o'clock to-morrow morning (Greenwich time).
HALIFAX, April 17.—The cableship Mackay-Bennett, has been chartered by the White Star Company to go to the scene of the Titanic disaster.
In the hope that some bodies may be picked up coffins are being taken, and several undertakers and embalmers will be on the ship.
The Mackay Bennett sailed at two o'clock. To addition to the undertakers, she carries a Church of England clergyman, who will perform the last rites over any bodies that may be found.—Reuter.
HALIFAX (N.S.), April 17.—Colonel Jacob Astor's son arrived here this morning, and he is chartering a steamer for the purpose of going in search of his father's body.—Exchange.
The King and Two Queens Send Nearly
£1,000 to Mansion House.

The King and Queen have once more shown their practical sympathy with their distressed and suffering subjects by subscribing handsomely to a fund which the Lord Mayor of London opened yesterday on behalf of those who have suffered by the Titanic disaster.
At the Easter banquet at the Mansion House last night the Lord Mayor announced that he had received the following telegrams : —
York Cottage, Sandringham.
I am commanded to inform your Lordship that the King subscribes five hundred guineas and the Queen two hundred and fifty guineas to the Mansion House Fund your Lordship is so kindly raising for the relief of those who are in need through the awful shipwreck of the Titanic.—William Carrington.
Queen Alexandra will give £300 towards the fund which your Lordship is raising for the relief of the relatives of those who have lost their lives in the terrible disaster to the Titanic.—Colonel Streatfeild.
By last night, the Lord Mayor, to use his own words, had " within a few hours, a considerable sum, amounting to thousands of pounds, in hand—a tribute to the generosity of the British public."
The appeal was instituted largely at the request of the Mayor of Southampton, where the distress is especially acute, but the fund will not only be for relatives of the crew, but for all those left in distress by deaths in the disaster.
Among the other donations received at the Mansion House yesterday were : —
Messrs. Morgan. Grenlall and Co, .......... £2,000 0 0
Messrs. Speyer Brothers ............................ 1,050 0 0
Mr. Edward Grenfell ..................................... 1.000 0 0
N. M. Rothschild and Sons ........................... 525 0 0
Baring Brothers and Co., Ltd. ........................ 500 0 0
J. Lyons and Co., Ltd. ..................................... 105 0 0
In Southampton, too, subscriptions are pouring in. The Shippiny Federation telegraphed, promising a contribution of £2,100 to the relief fund.
The Toronto City Council, says Reuter, has granted £1,000 in aid of the families of sufferers from the Titanic disaster, while Mr. Oscar Hammerstein bas promised to give a concert matinee in aid of the fund.
From the orphanages, too, help has corne. The Orphan Working School and Alexandra Orphanage, Haverstock Hill, will admit twenty Titanic orphans, while the Spurgeon Orphinage has promised to find room for twelve girls.
The Daily Mail, which has also opened a fund, makes a special appeal to the women of England.
The appeal is on behalf of the " fatherless children, widows and necessitons dependents of the men who perished with such sublime courage and self-sacrificing devotion in the great disaster."
The Daily Mail heads the list with a donation of £500, and Queen Alexandra and Princess Henry of Battenberg have expressed their hearty sympathy and wish all success to the fund.
Contributions should be marked " Women's Fund" and sent to "The Chief Clerk," The Daily Mail, Carmelite House, E.C.
GreatJournalist Given Up for Lost :
His Son's Hope.

Man Who Could Have Written the
Truth of the Titanic Disaster.

There seems no more room for hope that the greatest Englishman on board the Titanic has survived the catastrophe.
Death's cold, ironie band fell upon William Thomas Stead. one of the grandest joutnalists of his time. and prevented him from recounting the most awful catastrophe that any journalist has ever witnessed.
His son in Johannesburg, while hoping against hope, is confident that his father would have been among the last to leave the ship.
If he be indeed among the dead, not England alone, but the world, will mourn the loss of one of its great men. For Mr. Stead was a world-politician, a friend of freedom, an enemy of oppression in any form througbout the globe.
The greatest tragedy of Mr. W. T. Stead's life was that, being present at the most disastrous shipwreck in the world's history, he was unable to send off a full and vivid descriptive account of what really happened.
He had more than an eloquent pen, he had the seeing eye—a rarer gift. He was the greatest truth-seer, and the greatest and most fearless truth-speaker. Nothing would have been kept back of the last terrible hours of the Titanic. We should have had the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. His story would have covered everything that there was to be seen.
We should have had a story, every detail of which could be relied upon. His sense of what was news and his method of getting at the facts were remarkable.
It was fitting that Mr. Stead should be present at the greatest shipping disaster of all time. For everything that he had done had been on the grand scale. He had interviewed Tsars and Kaisers, Kings and Cardinals, and had accomplished more newspaper "scoops" than any other living Journalist.
He was on intimate terms with Such giants as Mr. Gladstone, Cecil Rhodes, Cardinal Manning, Count Tolstoy, Canon Liddon, and a host of other celebrities. And he made use of every one of them for his own particular end in noble disregard of consequences or conventions.
Mr. Stead was the Don Quixote of journalism. He was as strenuous as Roosevelt and as inspired as General Booth, while his personality sometimes dominated one like Gladstone's did. While eternally waging war, he was one of the greatest workers for peace who ever lived.
The principal forces by, which he made his way through life were an unhesitating belief in his own powers, and in the justice of any case he might espouse; and an innate, unshrinking fearlessness.
It was all one to him whether, as he sometimes did, he felt the strength of public opinion at his back, or whether, as also happened, his views were anathema to the great public.
It was his fate to be denounced more often and more loudly as a " lunatic " and a " crank " than any of bis contemporaries. He was a furiously outspoken pro-Boer at a time when the expression of such opinions was fraught with real personal danger. But he never considered this.
When he addressed the Zemstvo delegates at Moscow he set the entire meeting against him by his eulogistic references to General Trepoff, the Dictator of St. Petersburg, a red-hot reactionary, who had just attained notoricty by running a disobedient orderly through the body with his sword, and also by shooting five men in a street riot, as an example to his troops.
From the first he had the knack of attracting public attention. While still comparatively a young man and editor of the Northern Echo, his articles on the Bulgarian atrocities attracted the attention of Gladstone, Thomas Carlyle and John Morley. It was the last-named who gave Stead his chance in London by offering him the assistant editorship of the Pall Mall Gasette, in the year 1880.
When a little later Morley went to Parliament, Stead succeeded to the complete control of the paper.
How the Pall Mall Gasette flourished under his editorship, and how he shocked London by the series of articles under the title of "The Maiden Tribute of Modern Babylon," are matters of history. So are his trial and imprisonment.
With unabated courage be continued to edit the paper from his cell in Clerkenwell. Once a year up to the end he always put on prison clothes on the anniversary of his wedding.
His next venture was the starting of the " Review of Revieur»," in collaboration with Sir George Newnes, subsequently buying him out and running it single-handed.
The antagonism he occasionally excited in some minds may be gauged by the following extract from an " Open Letter " addressed to him through the columns of a London journal :—
Like your father, the Devil, yousow tares broadcast while good men sleep; and many of them falling into the propitious soil of-youth and innocence, are bound to spring up and multiply. If Socrates was put away as a corrupter of youth, how much more do you deserve to be bowstrung, oh, you pernicious scribe, Pharisee, Hypocrite!
Later in life, he started a campaign against theatres. His criticism after seeing his first West End music-hall was: "If I had to sum up the whole programme, I should say, ' Drivel from the dregs !' "
Afler seeing « performance in « well-known musical comedy theatre, it was: "A pestilent and pestiferous farrago of filth." But he applauded the performance of " La Milo."
A couple of years ago he again startled people with "Julia's Bureau" - which was " a tentative effort to build a bridge across the grave by which it is possible to commuinicate with chose who have passed over to the other side after the change which is called death." A "conversation" with Mr. Gladstone was one of the resutls.
A project which he concelved too hastily was his great idea of the Daily Paper, which was to bind its readers together as they had never been linked together before on a paper. It was not thought out with sufficient care, and collapsed ingloriously after a week or two, and Mr. Stead lost a large sum of money.
His strenuous methods and his earnestness of purpose may best be summed up in the late King Leopold of Belgium's words after Stead had interviewed him about Gordon, who was then shut up in Khartum. " Stead !" exclaimed Leopold to someone who asked what he thought of him and the interview. "It was terrible; how that man made me swent."
One of the very last letters he wrote was to The Daily Mirror just before he sailed. and was concerned with his daughter's career as an actress.
Born sixty-three years ago, he was the son of the Rev. W. Stead, a Congregational minister at Embleton, in the north, and in after life showed traces of the education which moulded his life.
For he was sometimes bigoted and intolerant—but never, by any chance, dull.
It was stated at a Congregational conference at Blyth yesterday that Mr. W. T. Stead's sister had just undergone a serious operation in a Newcastle hospital.
Mr. Stead had set out for America witb the intention of speaking in New York in connectiOn with the " Men and Religion Forward Movement." In the light ot present events, his last words in the current number of the " Review of Reviews " make singularly pathetic reading.
"For some time past," writes Mr. Stead, it has been noted in the United States that the Churches are falling more and more into the hands of women.
" . ... To arrest this tendency and to restore the requisite masculine element to popular religion in the States a syndicate was formed for the purpose of uniting Evangetical Churches in America, and of combining effort to bring men and boys into the Church."
" The committee has been kind enough to ask me to address a meeting, held under their auspices, on the 'World's Pence' in Carnegie Hall, New York, on April 21, at which President Taft and others will be among the speakers.
" I expect to leave by the Titanic on April 10, and hope I shall be back in London in May."
On that day, too, April 10, he wrote the letter to The Daily Mirror, which showed that his daughter's interests were the last thing he thought about before sailing.
We publish with all reserve the following message, which is not credited in New York, and must not raise false hopes here :
HALIFAX (Nova Scotia). April 17.—The wireless operator of the cable steamer Minia, reports having received a message announcing that 250 of the Titanic's passengers are on board the White Star liner Baltic.
The operator adds that thc message did not come from the Baltic, and the name of the steamer through which the news was retransmitted is not known. Reuter.
Other news of the Titanic disaster appears on page 4 and 5.

Page 3

The Daily Mirror du 18/04/1912
Irish Girl's Fiance Among the
Missing Passengers.

Of all the tragedies of the Titanic disaster which have so far come to light, that of the runaway courtship of a young Irish girl is perhaps the most pathetic. The tragic ending to the lovers' flight on the liner is related below.
Yesterday but little relief or comfort could be offered to anxions friends and relatives, who wait in agonising suspense for news of those who travelled by the Titanic.
Very few names of survivors were added to the lists already published. Many names are mutilated almost beyond recognition, while practically all suggest that they are but repetitions of those previously given.
(From Our Own Correspondant.)
QUEENSTOWN, April 17.-A romantic story—but one with a very sad ending—is told of a young Irish girl who was on boord the Titanic.
She came home from her boarding-school, and, after spending her Easter vacation with her parents, left, presumably, to return to school.
Influenced by a youthful love affair, however, she met her lover, and they booked passages, as brother and sister, on the Titanic, in which they sailed for America.
It was their intention to get married in America, later on hoping to secure the goodwill of their parents, who sternly objected to the courtship.
It now appears that the young man is among the drowned, while the girl has been saved.
Mr. and Mrs. John Sage, of Peterborough, and their nine children, who are known to have been passengers on the Titanic, are believed to have been lost.
Among the third-clas passengers were three brothers from West Bromwich and their oncle. The latter leaves a widow and one son, and one of the brothers leaves a widow, he having been married the day before his departure, the arrangement being that his wife should later join him in Canada. These four men nearly missed the train to Southampton.
Pitiful news from Fritham, in the New Forest, where a family of eleven named Hisckman have their home. Three of the brothers, together with the wife of one, were on the liner, one of the men being on his return to America, after a trip home following five years' absence abroad. The others of the party had decided to return with him.
Mr. Lawrence Beesley, reported drowned, was a science master at Dulwich College who gave up his position in order to visit his brother in Toronto.
There are several casts of men who ought to have sailed by the lost liner, but who were providentially prevented at the last moment. In one case, however, a man appeared at the local police court on the day of sailing and pleaded successfully to be let off some trivial offence, as he wished to sail on the Titanic.
Among the callers at the White Star offices yesterday was a steward who was waiting for news of his father and brother, who had long been in the service of the White Star Line as stewards, and were transferred to the Titanic last week. "I only missed the boat myself by a fluke," he said. "I had come back from a trip on the Oceanic, and, although my father asked me to sign on with him for the Titanic's maiden voyage, I tdld him I wanted a holiday."
Mr. E. V. Bill, of New York, and his wife, who were staying at the Hotel Cecil, were very keen on sailing on the Titanic on her maiden voyage. A day or two before the Titanic sailed Mrs. Bill saw the vessel wrecked in a dream. So impressed was Mr. Bill by his wife's story that they cancelled the passage—and sailed on the Celtic instead.
Of the eleven passengers on the Titanic who landed at Queenstown, two were almost forgotten and narrowly escaped being carried across the Atlantic on the ill-fated voyage.

After careful comparison with the liste of names of survivors publisbed yesterday morning, the following names appear to be additions to the total of those previously reported as rescued :—
Mr. Washington Dodge, of Phelps, Dodge, and Co., well-known New York bankers.
Mrs. Charles Williams.
Mr. Bernardo Encarnacion, Miss Millie Mallcroft, Mrs. Jacques, Miss Rossette, Mrs. Florence Mars, Mrs. W. H. Sholberry.

WASHINGTON, April 17.—The Navy Department has received the following wireless telegram, via Fortland, from Commander Decker, of the United States scout-cruiser Chester:—
" The Carpathia states that list first, second class passenger sent shore. Chester will relay list third-class passengers when convenient to Carpathia."
This is taken to mean that the list telegraphed from the Carpathia to the station at Cape Race through the Olympic, and retelegraphed to Reuter's London office yesterday morning, contained the names of all the first and second class passengers saved.—Reuter.
Titanic's Builder Blames Government
for Inadequate Regulations.

One of the most important questions wbich has been raised in consequence of the disaster is whether therewere a sufficient number of lifeboats on the Titanic.
The Right Hon. A. M. Carlisle, who, formerly general manager to Messrs. Harland and Wolff, built the Titanic and partly designed her, said, when interviewed yesterday by The Daily Mail, that he did not consider the lifeboat accommodation required by the Board of Trade regulations was suficient.
" I do not think it is sufficient for big ships," he said, "and I never did. As ships grew bigger I was always in favour of increasing the lifeboat accommodation. Yet it remains the same for a ship of 50,000 tons as for one of 10,000.
" When working out the designs of the Olympic and the Titanic I put my ideas before the davit constructors, and got them to design me davits which would allow me to place, if necessary, four lifeboats on each pair ot davits, which would have meant a total of over forty boats.
"Those davits were fitted in both ships. But, though the Board of Trade did not require anything more than the sixteen lifeboats, twenty boats were supplied.
" The White Star Company did, of course, supply boats of very much greater capacity than those required by the Board of Trade. I think I am correct in saying that the provision, in cubic capacity, was practically double that which was required.
"At the same time, it was nothing like suficient, in case of accident, to take off the majority of the passengers and crew.
"I have no doubt that the Government of this country, and the Governments of other countries, will now look more seriously into the matter."
In the House of Commons on Monday Mr. Douglas Hall will ask the Prime Minister whether the Government are prepared, in view of the grave loss of life attending the wreck of the Titanic, to appoint a committee to inquire into the whole question of the supply of boats on ships of the mercantile marine, and other means of saving life at sea.
Also to consider the efficacy of the existing Board of Trade regulations, with a view to the adoption of more effective means in the near future.
Mr. Walter Winans, the millionaire sportsman, expresses himself sensibly on the disaster.
"Does it not seem strange, charging a passenger £870 for the best stateroom on the Titanic," be writes to The Daily Mirror, " and not giving him in a private lifeboat? I am sure it would pay better than giving him a lot of useless decoration.
"By the way, the Titans defied the gods and were thrown into the sea, so it was a bad-omened name to give a ship."
At a quarter to eleven yesterday morning the White Star Line received the following telegram from their head offices in Liverpool : " Have received following from Captain Haddock, of the Olympic, via Celtic";—
Please allay rumours that Virginian has any Titanic passengers. Neither has the Tunisian. Believe only survivors on Carpathia.
Second, third, fourth, fifth officers and second Marconi operator only officers reported saved.
The names of the officers reported saved are respectively Messrs E. H. Ligbtoller, H. J. Pitman, J. G. Boxhall and H. G. Lowe. The Marconi operator is Harold Bride.
The enactment of a law regulating the promiscuous use of wireless telegraphy and the exclusion of amateur and irresponsible operators from the freedom of the air, is likely to be one sequel of the Titanic catastrophe, says a Reuter special message from New York.
Measures of this sort have been pending for some time, but the present situation will undoubtedly force immediate action.
Of course, no concrete programme for Congress has yet been determined upon, but it is probable that the officials of the White Star Line will be summoned to state the precautions for safety taken on board their liners. Mr. Taft is talking a keen Personal interest in all the features of the proposed regulation of passenger vessels.
Shoals of Messages to Passengers Destined
Never To Be Delivered.

One of the most pathetic features of the Titanic disaster are the shoals of wireless messages sent by relatives and friends to people on the Titanic —messages which were destined never to be delivered.
On Monday last large numbers of wireless messages were sent to Titanic passengers—many were addressed to Mr. W. T. Stead.
At the time the wires were dispatched it was believed that the passengers were safe, and the telegrams contained optimistic messages of congratulation and even business news.
But hours before the first news of the collision arrived in London there was no Titanic, and the wireless messages, sent via Cape Race, flashed across nothing but dreary icefloes and wreckage.
" The one object of the wireless operators at the land stations and on the liners has been to save life," an official of the Marconi Company told The Daily Mirror.
"They have been almost wholly occupied with dispatching service wires, and only during lulls have they been able to attend to private wires.
"At such a terrible time all purely private messages must have second place.
" In the ordinary way the dispatching of wireless messages to the Carpathia would take remarkably short time.
"A telegram can be handed in in London, and would be received by the wireless operator aboard the Carpathia within five minutes."
Have been in collision with iceberg.—We are in a sinking condition and require urgent assistance.
This was the message flashed from the Titanic to the Cunard liner Caronia in Mid-Atlantic.
But the Caronia was 700 miles away—too far to be of assistance, as her master, Captain Barr, sadly explained last night when the vessel arrived at Queenstown.
Captain Barr said It was on Monday morning, at half-past four, in lat. 43.45N., long. 42.20W., that he received the wireless appeal from the Titanic, which further stated that she had been in collision with an iceberg.
Not near enough to render assistance himself, Captain Barr sent wireless messages out indicating to steamers nearer the Titanic than he was the nature of the accident to that vessel.
The intelligence created a painful sensation on board, and Captain Barr's officers and crew deeply regretted that they were precluded from being of service to those on the sinking liner.
The last known message from the Titanic before the disaster was received by the Tunisian, which yesterday reported on arrival at Liverpool, speaking the Titanic by wireless on Saturday midnight, and sending a message, " Good luck." To this the Titanic replied: "Many thanks. Good-bye."
It is anticipated that the passengers who had boked for the second voyage of the Titanic fron Southampton to New York on May 1 will suffer little inconvenience.
If the Olympic does not arrive at Southampton in time, The Majestic will sail on Wednesday next.
Liner's Captain on Bridge for Two
Days Among Bergs.

A vivid narrative of his voyage through the huge Atlantic icebergs which wrecked the Titanic was given to The Daily Mirror last night by Dr. MacCormac, a London anaesthetist, who arrived at Liverpool yesterday in the Allan liner Tunisian.
"The Tunisian left St. John's (Newfoundland) last Sunday week," said Dr. MacCormac, " and we came into the ice region on the following Tuesday.
" It was clear, but bitterly cold, and, as sailors say, we ' smelt ice ' long before we came to it.
" Our position on Tuesday week, when we first saw the ice, was 48N., 43W. The mass was moving southwards, and it was undoubtedly the same icefield into which the Titanic ran five days later in 40N., 61W.
" The ice was of two kinds—field ice and bergs. The former, composed of thousands of blocks about twelve feet square, closely parked together, was practically on a level with the sea.
" It was estimated to be quite sixteen miles wide, and its length can be judged from the fact that we steamed slowly alongside it all day on Tuesday.
" At times we were within a quarter of a mile of the icefield, and it almost looked as if one could step off the ship and take a walk on the packed mass.
" We steamed very slowly throughout Tuesday and all Wednesday morning—sometimes only just fast enough to keep ' way ' on the Tunisian.
" So careful was Captain Fairhall that he hardly ever left the bridge, and he did not, I was told, take off his clothes for fifty-seven hours.
" The isolated bergs seen from the ship were far more terrible and impressive than the icefield, for they moved faster and were, of course, more dangerous.
" I did not count them myself, but several passengers did so, and all agreed that we passed no fewer than 168 in the twenty-four hours of Tuesday week last.
" They were of all shapes and sizes. One looked just like the crater of a volcano, and others were flat, jagged, pyramidal, and all kinds of fantastic shapes.
" The biggest iceberg I saw was wider than the Thames at Waterloo Bridge, and was at least as high as Big Ben.
" Yon must remember, too, that about one-ninth of an iceberg appears above water. Most of them looked as if they were coated with snow.
" As we could not find a passage through the icefield, although we did ' cut off corners ' by gently forcing our way through the blocks, we had to come farther south than we intended. Consequently we are a day late in getting home.
" The Titanic was signalled as having passed us all right during the week, and we did not know of her terrible fate until the pilot came aboard off Liverpool.
" If only the thousands of others waiting could get the same glad tidings as I have here ! "
It was the first grateful exclamation of Mr. A. J. Bride, of Shortlands, when he had the wonderful joy of learning yesterday that his son, the second wireless operator, was safe after all.
" I could not believe my son was alive," Mr. Bride told The Daily Mirror. " It seemed that he must be drowned with the majority of the passengers and crew.
" Then came this wonderful telegram. The news seemed incredible. I was quite overcome by it."
One inexplicable feature of the disaster, says a Reuter's special message, is how the Titanic headed into the iceberg after the ship had been warned of such a danger by the Amerika only a few minutes before the collision.
Nor was the Amerika's the only information received. The Touraine had radiographed to the Titanic on the 14th, warning her of the position of the bergs, and the Titanic answered the warning.
The Etonian's officers, who think that possibly sailing vessels may have picked up some of the survivors, believe they saw and photographed the very iceberg that sent the new liner to her grave.
Mr. Hays, the president of the Grand Trunk Railway, his wife and daughter are safe on board the Carpathia, says an Exchange message
The captain of the Allan liner Parisian, delayed by fog, reports by wireless that no Titanic passengers are on board, and adds that he thinks, all survivors are on the Carpathia.
A memorial service for those who have lost their lives on the Titanic will be held in St. Paul's Cathedral to-morrow at noon. No tickets will be issued or required by the general public.
Asked to show their respect for the brave men on the Titanic, a large crowd of seamen outside the offices of the National Sailors and Firemen's Union yesterday raised their hats and caps in reverent silence.
It is officially arrangcd that the Majestic will take the place of the Titanic on the Southampton-New York service. If the Olytnpic does not arrive at Southampton in time, the Majestic will sail on Wednesday next.

Page 4 & 5

The Daily Mirror du 18/04/1912 Top, center page :
- Mrs. Hocking, missing.
- Mr. G. Hocking, missing.
- Miss Hocking, missing.

Center page, from left to right :
- Passengers on board a steamer looking at broken ice floating in the North Atlantic Ocean, where the Titanic foundered.
- Mrs. Richards, of Newlyn, and her children. All three are missing.
- Iceberg and icefield photographed from the Tunisin a week ago in Lat 48N. It is undoutedly the same field into which the Titanic ran.

Above are portraits of eighteen of the unfortunate persons who have been drowned in the terrible disaster to the Titanic. The six passengers seen in the center photographs all belong to Cornwall.
Mrs. Hocking was going out to join her son, and Mrs. Richards, who was accompanied by her two children, was on her way to join her husband.
The homes of the members of the crew, whose portraits appear above, are in Southampton.
J. M. Smith was fourth engineer, and A S Allsopp second electrician. The others were attached to the restaurant staff. The photograph of the icefield was taken by Dr. MacCormac, who arrived in England yesterday.

Page 6

The Daily Mirror du 18/04/1912 MRS. ASTOR, whose rescue from the Titanic is reported, has lately been much in the public eye. It will be remembered that she was very recently married, and her tragedy is one of the several likely to come to light in the next few days. Mrs. Astor has, by another of the coincidences so remarkable in this awful affair, had experience of shipwreck before now. She wa» cruising with her fiance in the Noma not long ago when she assisted in the resecue of the shipwrecked crew of the Zingara, going from New York to Newport. After the men had been hoisted on board the Noma's lifeboat, Miss Force, as she was then, served them with hot coffee and sandwiches.
* * *
There is a good deal of feeling, amongst those who travel across the Atlantic, that it would be well if some of the luxury of a great liner were abandoned and greater safety provided. In point of fact, immense efforts are nowadays made to assimilate sea travel to existence in some luxurious hotel on land. The question remains to be asked :
Do passengers really desire this?
* * *
Really, a certain amount of "roughing it" is by no means unacceptable to those who are prepared to travel by sea. Howerer, even without this, perfect comfort can be provided without the nuisance (as many people feel it to be) of life as led in a huge hotel. The dressing for dinner —a long elaborate dinner—on a big liner, the bridge, the usual inevitable smokes and talk— there is no doubt that many would be glad to do without all this in the few days journey overseas.
* * *
Nowadays we seen, as a matter of fact, unwilling to interrupt our ordinary life even for a moment.
We want to live on ship just as welive on shore. There is the same monotonous convention of long dinners and dress suits. It is only in a tragic occasion like the present that the irony of these vast state-rooms and theatres and floating racket courts becomes apparent.
* * *
It has been stated that amongst the distinguished people in Paris whom the Printe of Wales will visit are the Marquis and Marquise D'Hautpoul. This is absolutely incorrect, as they have no house in Paris and reside in London.
* * *
Prince and Princess Christian are sbortly coming to Schomberg House, Pall Mall, Froms Frogmore House, where they have been residing for the winter. Cumberland Lodge. their place in Windsor Forest, has recently been overhauled and redecorated, and here the Prince and Princess will entertain a party for Ascot races.
* * *

Through all the blackness of that night,
A glory skreams from out the gloom;
Their steadfast spirits lift the light
That shines till Night is overcome.

The sea will do its worst, and life
Be sobbed out in a bubbling breath;
But firmly in the coward strife
There stand the men who conquered Death.

The souls that master wind and wave
And tower above a slaking deck;
A bridge across the gaping grave;
A raibow rising o'er the wreck.

Others they saved; they saved the name
Unsulfled that they gave their wives;
And dying withso pure as alm.
They had no need to save their lives!


Page 7

The Daily Mirror du 18/04/1912
Grief-Stricken Watchers Day and
Night Vigil.

Lady Faints in Street After Buying
an Evening Paper.

Another day of waiting—eodless waiting and aching suspense, hope grimly fighting of with despair, with but the barest scraps of news to ease the strain on brain and heart.
All though the long night and on into yesterday a tired-out little band of women and men kept an anxious vigil in the White Star Company's London head offices in Cockspur-street.
They waited fot a name—just the word or two that meant to them the whole world of difference between life and death.
There were fourteen or fifteen of them there yesterday morning lying back in chair or on the leather-covered seats, some soundly sleeping, some reluctantly waking to a day that brought yet no new hope.
All night long the office remained open. the staff replying to an almost incessant stream of callers and telephon calls.
In one corner an elderly woman lay huddled up in a chair, her head thrown back. She had been there since six o'clock on Tuesday evening. She was still there at six o'clock last evening.
The stream of inquiries was not quite so constant as on Tuesday, but yesterday more questions were asked about the safety of members of fhe crew of the lost liner than previously. One extremely touching incident occurred early in the afternoon.
For some minutes a poorly-dressed, middle-aged woman stood among the crowd outside, gazing silently at the office. With an effort she at last forced herself to enter.
"Have you any news of the crew yet?" she asked, in a stained voice, of a clerk.
« None yet," she had to be told.
"Will—will they bother about the names of the crew as much as about the others—the swells?" she managed to control her voice to ask.
She was assured that every name of those saved would be sent in as soon as possible and published.
Biting her lips to keep back her tears and keeping her eyes averted, she murmured " Thank you," and, turning swiftly, made for the door.
But there her gathered strength deserted her. Swaying slightly, she staggered against a pillar and, burying her face in her handkerchief, gave way to piteous, heaving sobs and tears.
A few minutes later a man and a woman—a fashionable, well-dressed pair—entered and asked if a friend had really joined the ship at Cherbourg. Obsiously they hoped to be told " No," but there was no getting away from the passenger list ; there was the name of the friend whom they had tried to hope was not on board—and the name was not among those of the saved.
The crowd at the Cockspur-street offices fluctuated considerably as the afternoon wore on.
Sometimes it was impossible to get near the notice-boards for the crush. Ten minutes later the public hall would be untenanted, save for the heavily-veiled wolman who had waited patiently since midnight for the next dispatch from the other side of the Atlantic.
The additional list of passengers on the Carpathia, which was posted up when the offices opened, was eagerly scanned by the crowd.
Women in furs and velvet rubbed shoulders with other whose clothes were almost threadbare.
Perhaps because some of the first shock of the dreadful news had passed off there were not quite so many openly affecting scenes yesterday as on Tuesday.
No one seemed to dare—or care to look his neighbour in the face, for all knew and felt that there was little that was happy to be read there.
All, except those, standing in the curious-eyed throng in the roadway outside, who regarded all who entered and left the office with searching glances, did as they wished to be done by. Each man's sorrow was his own; it was not to be shared with strangers, even by look.

A youth of sixfeen was seen weeping bitterly. His father, he said, was a fireman on the Titanic.
"I have nobody left now," he added. "My mother died a few weeks ago."
Hour after hour the enquiries went on. People -men and women of all ages and classes, English and American—thronged the office, questioning the clerks and scanning the typed slips of names on the notice boards. Hardly anyone spoke above a whisper, and none seemed to find the information they had come for.
There was " No news yet ; Carpathia was probably out of touch of land. But there might be news at any moment." That was what the sympathetic officials had to say nearly all day.
There was one bright spot in the morning's pitiful round. All day Tuesday a young wife haunted the Leadenhall-street office of the company waiting for word of her husband. But none came, and at last, sad and worn out, she went home.
Yesterday morning good tidings were flashed across the wires; her husband was among the second-class passengers saved and safely aboard the Carpathian. She was instantly told by wire.
Telephone bells were ringing all night and all day, followed by the tragically monotonous question, " Can you tell me, please, if the name of —— is on the list of saved?"
Sympathetic clerks hastened to reply in nearly every case, " His name is not on the list," and there was a lump in the throat of those who heard what was said and felt the pathos of " the other end of the telephone.»
On the desks were prepaid telegraph forms, already filled in, which the officials had undertaken to dispatch directly the required name was received as that of a survivor.
The grief of the people is the more poignant because it is almost tearless.
One German gentleman said he had waited at the offices for news without sleep since the first messages of the disaster came. He had three sisters on board the Titanic when she sailed.
Another watcher said he had four sisters and three brothers on the ship. There was as yet no news of them in either case.
There were touching scenes, too, in other places besides the offices of the line. One such incident was observed at Sutton.
A lady in a motor-car spied a paper-boy with a news bill on which was printed, " Names of the Saved."
She stepped eagerly from her car, and excited hands snatched a paper from the boy. A hurried glance down the list, and then—she fainted. The name she sought was missing. She was taken to a hotel close by.
(From our own correspondant)
SOUTHAMPTON, April 17.—The gloom which settled over Southampton when confirmation of the Titanic's loss was received is deepening, and to-night the wives and other relatives of the crew still keep anxious vigil at the White Star offices.
Here, where are the homes of most of the crew, their kinsfolk have hoped and watched all day for news of survivors, news of fathers, husbands, brothers, sons. They have waited silently, anxiously, and for most the tidings came not.
To-night many of them have been waiting almost continuously for twenty-four cours for tidings of the breadwinners of many humble homes. The suspense is agonising, and heartrending scenes have been common.
"Will the list never come?" one poor woman exclaimed, as her fainting form was borne away.
Nothing approaching this appalling blow has ever fallen upon the port, though disasters to the local seafaring community have been by no means rare, and memories of the Stella and Hilda disasters are still recalled.
Here there are widows in nearly every street in certain parts, and already two deaths ot bereaved people have taken place.
One case was recorded yesterday, another almost as pathetic comes to light to-day.
A wile recently confined has died since the news was broken to her, and the child has died also.
In two neighbouring streets in the Shirley district are two young widows, married only a few weeks since, the voyage in one case being the unfortunate husband's first.
In yet another street there are three widowed women living side by side.
The company's officials granted all possible information to the bereaved inquirers, the names of he saved being posted on a notice board as soon as received.
There were pathetic scenes outside the offices as the wives in suspense learnt the worst.
Hopeless misery has cast its wing over the town, causing the wholesale cancellation of social engagements and public meetings.

Page 8

The Daily Mirror du 18/04/1912 Top, from left to right:
- Mr. Saalfield, (Saved.)
- Mr. Walpole, (Missing.)
- Mr. King, (Missing.)
- Mr. Ennis, (Missing.)

below, from left to right:
- Mr. Buley, (Missing.)
- Mr. Charman, (Missing.)
- Mr. Boxhall, (Saved.)
- Mr. Lightoller, (Saved.)

Survivors and victims of the Titanic disaster. Mr. Walter Ennis was the superintendent of the Turkish bath, Mr. E. King was chief clerk to the purser, and Mr. James Walpole, the head pantryman, was one of the White Star Line's oldest employees. Mr. Adolph Saalfield was the only Manchester passenger. Mr. Lightoller was second officer on the liner, and Mr. Boxhall fourth officer. Mr. Buley, one of the crew, bought himself out of the Royal Navy only six weeks ago to enable him to help his mother better. Mr. Charman was a second-class steward.

Debut de la page